Monday, March 1, 2010

Welcome to Kate vs. the Guitar!

After 12 years as a professional orchestral musician - a french horn player, no less - I had finally retired from the music world and started along a new career path. But music has a way of sneaking up, smacking you over the head with a bassoon, dragging you unconscious to a seedy bar and bringing you 'round with a pint of beer and three chords in the face. So to speak. Much to my surprise I ended up (through the recommendation of some friends) playing trumpet in an indie band. I've played in stadiums and concert halls all over the world, but I've never played as a core member of a rock band. It's a completely different world for me, and a surprisingly scary step to take - I was more nervous playing my first gig at the local live venue Jade Monkey than I ever was playing at the Sydney Opera House!

I've come across so many amazing musicians since joining the non-classical music world, most of whom play multiple instruments (just about everyone in my band plays at least three! Damn talented whippersnappers!). I've been looking for a new musical challenge for a while (as well as a vaguely unique blog topic to practice my writing), and my friend Haydon had a spare acoustic guitar lying around, so I thought I'd give it a shot!

Since deciding to do this I've had a huge response from friends and family - it seems everyone and their dog knows (or maybe think they know! ;)) something about guitar, from their favourite chord to the first song they played in their school rock band. I'd LOVE everyone's comments, advice, links, encouragement and recommendations - please don't hesitate to throw anything my way!

I'm hoping this blog will keep me practicing and pushing through the frustrations and want-to-throw-it-on-the-fire moments that will inevitably arise as I strum, pick and swear my way through learning the guitar. ROCK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment