Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I listen to bands that don't even exist yet

It's been a long while since I tried vainly to impress my American high school sweetheart by pretending to recognise the obscure band logos tattooed all over his punk-rock frame. These days I try to be a little more honest about my complete ignorance of the rising tide of obnublious underground artists who (to my knowledge) may or may not exist outside a cramped bedsit in Greenway, New Jersey.

But for all the hipsters dying for a piece of the cooler-than-thou action there is now Too Obscure, a t-shirt company producing fashionable items for imaginary bands.

Every shirt design has its own bio, so you can regale your friends with the origins and influences of your favourite new (fictional) band. For example, check out:

Hospital Relocation Memory
Hail from: Dingley, Melbourne, Australia
Formed: 2001
Type: Seven TAFE music graduates make up this odd ensemble whose lead vocalist whispers lyrics
Main influences: The Residents

Wish they had an EP.

Joking aside, there is a plus to the wearing of obscure shirts. I've discovered some of my favourite bands by spying their names emblazoned across a nameless hipster's chest at a show, or checking out the range of sweet tees that parade through my band's jam sessions - thanks to the awesome stylings of Al, Jeremy and Jon I discovered Broken Social Scene, Belle and Sebastian and Brand New, to name but a few. As far as I see it, it's not elitist if you're sharing the love. Viva obscura!

1 comment:

Zak Lah said...

so did you try Karma police? It's wicked for chord practice without the monotony.

also if you want to, mangos has written the chords to botten anna out.

glhf, Zak lah

Post a Comment